Meitheal is a programme for 5th year students, designed to help students develop their leadership skills and make their school community a better place for all. The word Meitheal comes from the old Irish tradition where farmers would come together to support each other and build strong friendships. The aim of the Meitheal team is to help the incoming 1st years transition from primary to secondary school. The team of nine students attend 2 training days for this. Three team members are assigned to each of the three first year classes. The Meitheal team is supported by the Meitheal Coordinator.
Meitheal team responsibilities:
- Organise an activity or event at least once a month for the 1st years.
- Attend a weekly meeting with the Meitheal Coordinator to plan upcoming events.
- Get to know the first year students and assist with any questions or problems that may arise.
Some events/activities the team organises :
- Ice-breaker games to help the first years get to know each other.
- Answering any questions relating to school, classes, timetable, homework, exams, etc.
- Orientation of the school building (keeping in line with Covid-19 restrictions)
Skills gained while partaking in the Meitheal programme:
- Leadership skills
- Teamwork skills
- Communication skills
- Decision-making skills
- Problem-solving skills