St Aloysius are delighted to be involved in the BelongTo Quality Mark for schools campaign which guides our efforts to develop our community into one which demonstrates its commitment to providing a safe and supportive environment for our LGBTQ+ students and their families. Along with another 57 schools around the country, we began our work with BelongTo in September 2022 and have been working together since to achieve our accredited status in early 2024.
As we already pride ourselves in providing a nurturing and positive environment for all of our students, why did we choose to become involved in the LGBTQ+ Quality Mark?
In Ireland, studies have shown that 76% of LGBTQ+ students have reported not feeling safe in school. Research has shown that effective interventions can dramatically improve the lives of these students, and we understand the need to actively demonstrate our commitment to developing a culture that supports and celebrates all our students.
We are doing this by:
- Ensuring that all staff are equipped to support LGBTQ+ students
- Encouraging students to share opinions and ideas on how to make St Aloysius a supportive environment for our LGBTQ+ students and their Allies
- Developing and implementing inclusive school policies and plans
- Diversifying the curriculum to celebrate diversity and show our respect for everyone in our school community
- Highlighting supports for LGBTQ+ students and their families in the wider community to enable them to access additional supports and information when required